WEEKEND READS | Reading Thrillers!

ohlook, a new Agatha Christie book on my shelf!
Hello,

This week is the Manila International Book Fair week (#MIBF2016) and the Mystery-a-Thon. Let's briefly talk about both, okay?

I've had a couple of school works to do yadah-yadah-yadah. Stuff like thesis, and events management, and short write-up, and stuff like that. THESE THINGS are the reasons why I'm so behind on my mystery-a-thon. And of course, I may just be making excuses (which I possibly am) but I'm almost halfway through my 2nd read for the readathon which is Savage Reckoning by C. Hoyt Caldwell. Along with this, I took this readathon as an opportunity to get back to reading In Gallup, Greed by Tower Lowe. Read my thoughts on both below!!

NOW on to my #MIBF2016 experience! I went on Friday and Saturday with a different friend a day. I jumped in to an impromptu invite for Friday because I really, REALLY want to go on a weekday because it's more convenient. No long lines and the books are still not so messed up (because they literally get from one shelf to another!). My book hauls can be found on my instagram page :)

All in all, I bought 12 books from #MIBF2016. I had to give up a lot of books I really, really want to have (because of my budget) like Dangerous Girls, Nightingale, Six of Crows, and Vicious. AND I was going to grab a copy of A Court of Mist and Fury by there was NO PAPERBACK! I am not going to grab the hardcover no matter what because (1) it's expensive and I'm poor && (2) it won't be the same as my ACOTAR 'cause it's in paperback. So next time. Definitely.

Despite all those things, I'm still happy for the books I bought. I FINALLY got The Hunger Games trilogy boxset. THE FOIL BOXSET WHICH I ACTUALLY PREFER!! Oh look at those shiny covers!! They are so pretty!!!! And don't shame me but I haven't read Catching Fire and Mockingjay (although I have seen the movie except for Mockingjay part 2). Also, I finally got a copy of Illuminae!! I don't know when I'll read it though. Possibly on November when I'm not too busy. AND I also got my hands on two editions of Wuthering Heights! Their covers are just sooooo pretty!!

Pretty much, these are the highlights of my week. Now, to my reads!!
At Risk | S.G. Redling
This book kept me up until 2:00AM! I like the slow build up, how well established the characters were, how well developed the main character is, and how much suspense the climax holds. The revelation and the thrilling climax was great! Really wished there was more though. Maybe like an epilogue or something. Oh well~
Review will be up soon!!

Savage Reckoning (Backwoods Justice Novel #1) | C. Hoyt Caldwell
Savage Reckoning is a slow read for me. It's a crime fiction. It involves Deputy Dani Savage. I like how she's not my usual female deputy -- Dani is still a fairly new deputy (only been there for 3yrs, I think); she's beautiful and other police officers don't think highly of her; she doesn't have much position on which cases get hold onto since she's still fairly new. ANYWAY, I like other aspects of the book like: the POV of the two 'Closeout Kings', the involvement of religion, and the unequal look at deputy Dani for well... being a female deputy. I hope the pace picks up. So far that's my only issue :)
In Gallup, Greed (Cinnamon/Burro New Mexico Mysteries #1) | Tower Lowe
There are too many POVs on this one. The mystery is definitely intriguing. I still can't pin point which one killed Lonnie. But the multiple POVs and having no clue which POV it is kind of ruins it for me. I'm still just a couple of chapters through (and have been so far the past couple of weeks. ugh). I'm still hoping it gets better for me.

Sleeping Giants (Themis Files #1) | Sylvain Neuvel
Myster-a-thon is almost over. It ends tomorrow. Sooooooo, whether I'm done with In Gallup, Greed or not, I'm staring with this one just because I'm toooooooo excited for it!!
Have you read my review of The Girl In the Ice? Read it. I hope I convince you to read this series too! I've been holding off this read sequel for so long. Dark Water will be out soon!


*             *             *

How about you friends, how was your week? What books have you recently finished? What are you reading right now? How is it, are you enjoying it? What do you plan to read next?


let's connect!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...